Prudence Look Society

In memory of Prudence Look, one of the founders of Martha’s Vineyard Hospital and the first president of the Hospital’s Women’s Auxiliary, we have established The Prudence Look Society to honor the generosity of individuals who support the mission of MVH through planned gifts.

In 1920, moved by the tales of the medical care received by a young soldier returning to his Island home from the war in France, Prudence Reed Look asked, “Why should not the Island have a hospital?” Wasting no time in answering her own question, on April 2, 1921, nine fellow Islanders voted to incorporate Martha’s Vineyard Hospital. Originally located in the Hiram Daggett home in Eastville, the first hospital celebrated its opening on June 10, 1922. Three hundred people came to the reception ceremony, but for two days no patients turned up. On day three the Hospital journal read, “Somebody dropped in for surgery – nameless, but successful.”

For more information, please contact the Development office at (508) 693-4645 or mvhgiving@partners.org.